Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Barn Bats - Rabies Risk?



Bats have finally taken up residence in the bat house I put up outside my barn almost six years ago. At dusk I may catch a glimpse of one swooping for its dinner (we've had active mosquitoes in Arizona since early March) and I see their droppings on the ground below the house. I'm happy they seem to like their home and will help control the mosquito population - and I'm almost as happy not to get an up close and personal viewing, as rabies is on an early upswing this year, with Pima County leading the number of reported cases.

So why even consider putting up a bat house if they might carry a potential rabies threat? 
Chances of contracting a mosquito-borne disease, or even of winning the lottery are greater than the risk of contracting rabies from a bat. A few simple precautions, such as not handling a bat (or any other wild or feral animal) can almost totally eliminate the risk.  If a bat is active in the daytime, or seems to be acting ill, containing it with a bucket or box without touching it (and to keep your pets from investigating and possibly being bitten) should be your first step, then contact your local animal control officer to arrange to have the bat picked up for testing. Any wild animal which seems either aggressive or "too friendly" should be reported to your Game and Fish or Animal Control authority. Even if rabies-free, a wild animal that has lost its wariness of humans is dangerous - something that we're seeing more commonly as increasing development broadens the urban-wildlife interface.

If you suspect you might have had exposure to rabies, through either a bite or saliva contact, it is important to seek medical care immediately to receive PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis treatment). Immediate PEP (within 24-48 hours) can prevent the development of rabies; once the rabies virus has an opportunity to incubate, it is almost always fatal. Protect your dogs, cats and horses with vaccination.

Bats consume a huge number of flying insects relative to their weight. The possibility of an explosion in insect populations due to die-off (from white-nose syndrome) occurring in some bat colonies in the Northeast has health department officials concerned.   
"Randall Nelson, state [NY] public health veterinarian, said the state's mosquito trapping and testing program will take on added importance this summer because of the bat problem.
Mosquitoes are trapped and tested for West Nile virus and Eastern equine encephalitis, which can be transmitted to humans." [ProMed  31 March, 2008]  

I will enjoy my small colony of bats knowing their presence reduces the chance of my horses or I contracting one of the mosquito-borne diseases - and knowing their benefits far outweigh any possible risk.  Now if only I could convince the local rattlesnakes to stay on the other side of the fence.